Thursday, September 9, 2010

Crispy Roasted Potatoes

I subscribe to a wonderful blog called the Purple Foodie because she comes up with lots of interesting recipes & her pictures made the dishes look so delicious & drool-worthy!! I saw the pictures for the Crispy Roasted Potatoes w/Lemon, Garlic & Sage & knew I had to try them.

Here is the Purple Foodie's recipe - I am a big lover of caramelized (almost burnt) red onions, so I added them to the pan first & cooked them for about 10 minutes before I added the rest on the ingredients.


Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic and Sage

Inspired from: Ottolenghi Cookbook (USA | UK | India) and Nigella Lawson (USA | UK | India)
Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
1kg / 2.2lbs new potatoes (if you’re using larger potatoes, you can cut them to the size you like)
4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
50ml olive oil
2 tbsp roughly chopped sage
1 lemon
Salt and pepper
Method:
  1. Boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water. Pass a knife through it to check for doneness after 7-9 minutes. Longer, if you’re using larger potatoes.
  2. Once boiled, cut the potatoes into half lengthwise and transfer to a big box that will hold all the potatoes and still have additional room. Shake the box vigorously until the potatoes look smashed on the edges.
  3. Toss with garlic, olive oil, sage, juice of lemon, salt and pepper.
  4. Transfer to a roasting pan and layer the potatoes in a single layer.
  5. Roast the potatoes in the oven at 200C/390F for 30-40 minutes until crispy, golden and brown.
  6. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, perhaps with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
Oh so delightful!! They were crispy on the outside & creamy, like mashed potatoes on the inside (just like the Purple Foodie said!). I didn't have fresh sage when I made mine (in my rush to try them, I just forgot to pick that up at the store). Next time I will, I'm sure that adds even more punch to the flavors!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good luck to you with my giveaway! Roasted potatoes are regulars at my dinner table, I will check out this recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Regina! I really enjoy your blog! ~ Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your Lovely Comments