Sunday, May 13, 2012

Button Swap Blog Hop !!

I want to thank Cindy Wimmer of Sweet Bead Studio for putting together the Button Swap!! I have been wanting to use buttons in my designs for a long time and knew I would have to "stretch" to come up with a design or two for the swap. Plus, I get to meet many wonderful jewelry artists and see how they've incorporated buttons into their designs - definitely a win-win!! Thank you, Gracias, Mahalo, Merci!!

I received these buttons from Dana of Dana's Jewelry Design back in mid-April - she's an amazing artist and jewelry designer.



I must admit, after I took these pictures I didn't really think about the Button Swap. I've kept extremely busy (not hard to do with four boys!) to keep my mind off the fact that my biggest cheerleader, our family "rock", is no longer with us. I was even able to see my sisters TWICE since I received the buttons - my sisters live in New Hampshire and California and I'm in Ohio, but we made it happen!

Last weekend, we were in Alexandria, VA cleaning up my Mom's condo where I found a box of chandelier findings - I love that they're in a Godiva box, Mom sure loved her chocolate! I knew I had found the perfect piece to make a necklace with the mother of pearl button, but I still wasn't able to sit still long enough to start on my pieces until this past Thursday - nothing like a little pressure!!



I used the beautiful mother of pearl button (which has two different sides), a chandelier drop, 22g non-tarnish wire, Czech glass pearls, Swarovski silver shade cosmic rings and the last of my vintage chain. Here is the result - I really like how it looks with either the  side of the button showing!




Next, I wanted to make a necklace using the windmill button because I have a lovely friend from the Netherlands and wanted to make a necklace that reminded me of her. At first, I wanted to go with blue and white like the Delft pieces she's given me, but went in another direction - she can light up a room and rocks the color pink!!

I made a couple of "practice" necklaces and, in cutting the wire off the button, I accidentally cut of the little connector piece on the back - that was definitely an AAAHHHHHH moment! After my initial panic, I grabbed my sons Dremel and went back to work!!



I used the windmill button, a Chinese marquise pink drop, Swarovski bicones, copper ring and recycled sari silk yarn. This is a fun necklace to wear - I like the loose tendrils from the sari silk yarn!



Just for fun, I made magnets with some of my grandmothers buttons. I can remember my sisters and I playing with these buttons when we were kids. The brown button is covered in leather, the green button is from my grandmothers jacket and the lovely mother of pearl button looks faceted. I made a set for my sisters, too - they are sweet reminders of our past.



I'll be spending my day month hopping around the Button Swap - here's the list to enjoy all of the beautiful designs:


 Kim Roberts and Partner unable to participate at this time.
Pam Ferarri and Stefanie Teufel (will share their reveal on a later date)
Stefanie Teufel and Pam Ferarri (will share their reveal on a later date)

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful pieces! How nice that you used one of your moms chandelier piece for that first necklace. And the windmill piece is fabulous! I love that you made it with your friend in mind. It's a gorgeous necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your pieces are so delicate and beautiful! love both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. both are beautiful, but loving that first one with the chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the buttons Christine. I love the vintage one with the chandelier crystal and way to save the day with the windmill. Both pieces look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work - I love that you grabbed a drill - once you have tools the whole world opens up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the necklace with the fortuitously found chandelier drop! So very feminine and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a def. romantic flair and softness to the designs, which are just yummy! I am amazed at the talent out here for repurposing buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great button projects! Love this swap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alexandria isn't too far from me! I love that you used those chandelier findings (what a find!) and I love the fiber on the 2nd necklace. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pieces. Very feminine. I broke one of the buttons I received, too, and did the same thing. Thank goodness for power tools! Happy Mothers day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the soft and delicate pieces you've created from your buttons - Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your beautiful, romantic necklaces! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice, I love the look of your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The inspiration for the pieces you made is magical, thanks for sharing it. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two beautiful pieces, and a wonderful tribute to remind you of your mom. Your first necklace is so delicate and lovely. I also adore the button magnet idea, might have to "borrow" that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a beautiful job with your buttons. I love vintage and love your shell button and pearl necklace! :) Nice to have a piece from your mom as well to place in it! What a great keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful way to incorporate memories from the past into your jewelry design. I love the magnets that you created - I think that I could even pull that off while the kids help. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous necklaces! I especially love that last one, though - the little bit of fiber really makes the button pop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Having lost my mother last year I know how going through her things goes...you will always smile with a memory when you wear the crystal necklace. Beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That little windmill is super duper cute! I have done that sort of thing too but I am glad that you persevered and found a way to make it work!
    Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  21. The crystal chandelier findings were a special find from your Mom. It is neat that on Mother's Day you were able to show something she had collected in your necklace. The piece turned out really beautiful!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the swarovski crystals you used. It really looks like you had a lot of fun.It was such a good idea to make magnets with the buttons from your childhood. I love the idea of making memories functional in every day life!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow I love that pearl and crystal necklace, so pretty! It is feminine and unusual two things I love!

    ReplyDelete
  24. While all of your button creations are lovely, that first one with the crystal really takes the cake. It's absolutely inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They're both very pretty, but I really like the simplicity and elegance of the Mother of Pearl button necklace with the drop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what lovely pieces you've made from your swap buttons!!! I love the sentiment behind your pieces, too-- I'm sorry to hear about your recent loss, but I'm glad to see that you have found a way to honor her in the piece <3

    I also love how you made the piece in honor of your friend, the one who can light up a room. The necklace is perfect for this friend-- it made me think of her and I don't even know her!!!

    Thank you for sharing with us on this swap/challenge/hop~

    *~* Julia *~* http://beautifullywhimsical.blogspot.com *~*

    ReplyDelete
  27. Christine, you were right here in my neck of the woods in Virginia. Are you originally from this area? I am really sorry about your recent loss. I am happy to see that you found something special that belonged to your Mom and that it was made in to a new keepsake necklace - and using that pretty mother of pearl button. It turned out so beautifully - what could be better - a bit of sparkle and mother of pearl!
    I love that you made magnets with your old family buttons for your sisters. They look so sweet and sure dress up a fridge compared to boring magnets! Now you'll see them and remember the fun times you had with all of those buttons! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Button maganets!! Fab idea!! Love the button and chandelier..wow stunning!!Cat

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome piece. I too love chandelier dangles. I think they are so pretty in the light. Reminds me of the movie Pollyanna from Disney ( now I am showing my age). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What lovely, feminine pieces you've created; I love that even the closure on your first necklace looks like, or is, marcasite. Great attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your Lovely Comments