Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Kalmbach Bead Soup Party

The wonderful folks at Kalmbach are having a Bead Soup Party to promote Lori Anderson's book,  Bead Soup.  I was shocked and excited when I received this package in the mail. The soup is from Safire Rose Beads and Things located in Madison, OH, about 3 hours north of me.

                             
                                    When I opened the envelope, I had so many colorful ingredients to work with!!


So many colors, and the bird pendant ....... think, think, think ............ I let it stew and simmer for awhile and kept coming back to the same idea.

I kept imagining a lush, double-strand necklace - two love birds soaring above the clouds and flying through a rainbow. I used the beads and brass toggle from my soup and added sari silk to the back, so you can see all the colors when you're wearing it.


This necklace was very long and heavy, so I took a picture and immediately took my wire cutters to one end so I could start over before I could change my mind!

Next, I picked out the chunkier bits, stirred the soup and strung that. I didn't like how that looked, so back to the bowl they went (no picture of that one).

I decided that I liked the idea of the birds flying and coming across a beautiful rainbow. I used brown silk bead cord and pearl knotted the beads, adding the golden clasp at the end of the rainbow. Then, I used brass chain and wove green sari silk through some of the links.


                                                            This necklace is much more wearable and fun!

When I was carrying the necklace, it slipped out of my hand - I didn't see the little chip in the pendant until I was posting the pictures :(   I suppose it adds to the charm - nothing, not even two love birds, are perfect!

I want to thank Kalmbach and Safire Rose Beads and Things for letting me join the party - I had tons of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Lovely Comments