Sunday, October 13, 2013

Thai Basil Chicken

A good friend of mine is from Thailand and she introduced me to Thai food a few years ago. One of my favorites is Gai Pad Krapow, so I had to find a recipe - this is the first one I tried and my son and I love it!!


2 Tbsp sesame oil
10 (or more) cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup ginger, thinly sliced OR 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 lb. chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup mirin (rice wine) OR 1/4 cup white cooking wine + 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
3-4 Tbsp sugar
1 cup basil leaves
red chilies

Heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil in a skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and onbion - cook 5 min. Add the chicken thigh pieces, mirin (or substitute), soy sauce, sugar and 1 Tbsp sesame oil - bring to a boil and simmer until chicken is cooked and the liquid is almost absorbed - about 15 minutes. Stir in the basil leaves. Serve over rice.


                                                                                   ENJOY

* 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic from a jar = 1 crushed clove
* Add red pepper flakes or dried jalapenos for extra spice
* Try to find Thai Holy Basil at your local Asian Store, it gives it more of an authentic flavor.
* I don't like fish or oyster sauce (I tend to use way too much) - this is a great recipe that uses neither!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Lovely Comments